Saturday, June 14, 2014

Summers should not be this busy

Remember when you were a kid, and the only responsibility you had during the summer was to be home by the time the street lights came on?  I long for those days.  The freedom of getting on my bike and heading out on adventure, even if it was only to the local pool, with my friends.

Now, as a mom, summers mean playing taxi driver and hostess to the neighborhood kids in between my 9-5 job and my real passion of writing.  So far this weekend we have gone to Comic Con Denver (yes I am raising my kids in all things geek), went shopping for stuff to send the older boy off to camp, volunteered for the local fair and had a birthday party for my younger son....and it is only Saturday :)

I have managed to relax a little by writing Izzy and Alex's story.  As promised here is a little taste of the couple who seems to be plotting each other's murder at every turn.

To set the scene, it is moving day for Roni and Izzy.  Alex decides he needs to help after Izzy has been ignoring him....

“Alex what are you doing here?”  Roni questioned him suspiciously as she gave him a welcoming hug. 
“Since Derek was helping you get settled, I figured I would lend a hand to Izzy.”  Alex shrugged.  He had been trying to get Izzy alone with him to finish their discussion since the Gala.  Unfortuanltey, she wanted nothing to do with him. 
His texts and calls had been met with a level of hostility usually saved for terrorists.  He had even learned a few new four letter words.  He knew his chances of ever getting her to forgive him were slim to none, yet, here he stood in her living room ready to get slapped again. 
Roni assessed him for a moment. “Fine, but you be nice to her.  Or I won’t do that data analysis you need on the forecasts.”  She threatened, poking him in the chest with each word. 
He laughed.  “Um, Roni, I’m your boss you have to do the analysis no matter how I behave.”
“True, but I don’t have to present it for you.  So, be nice!”  Her pale face scrunched into what she must think was a threatening look. 
“Fine, I promise to be nice.” 
With one more huff, she walked away.  Leaving him to go bother Izzy.  His favorite pass time.  He walked to her bedroom door.  Walking right in without knocking, because he knew it would get a reaction from her.  And right now he was dying for any type of attention from her. 
“What the fuck are you doing in my room?  Did your mother only teach Derek manners?” Izzy huffed at him. 
He smiled, finally she was acknowledging him again.  He walked over and sat on the corner of her bed.  Bouncing a little to test the springs.   “Nice bed, pixie.”  
“Glad you think so, but this will be the only time you ever see my bed.”  She stood as far away from him as she possibly could get without leaving the room. 
“You’re being so mean to me, and I am only here to help you settle into your new place.  Where are we moving to anyway?” He continued talking as though the look on her face didn’t give away, she was plotting to murder him in a very creative way.
“Why?”
“Why what?” He leaned forward and peaked into the box sitting at his feet.  His hand was immediately slapped away. 
“Why do you want to help me settle into my new place?” 
“I’m a nice person, helping a friend out comes with the territory.”  He tried to peak in the box again.  This time she snatched the box away.  “Is that your box of panties?”  He wiggled his eyebrows at her. 
She blushed.  “Ugh, you are such a pain.  I can settle in by myself.  Now, go away.” She set the box down.  Putting two rows of packaging tape over the top. 
“You didn’t answer the question, where are we moving you to, today?” He moved back and rested his head against the headboard, with his hands behind his head. 
She let out a heavy breath.  “Since you have decided to be such a dear friend all of a sudden.  I am moving into the Spire building on 14th Street.”
That had Alex’s attention.  “Really, what floor?” 
A few month’s ago Roni and Izzy had lost a bet over a pool game, forcing Izzy to make dinner for him at his home.  A night spent arguing over everything except the big elephant in the room.  That night was the last time he had kissed her.  A kiss that proved the passion between them was not left in Cabo.  A kiss that also ended with him on the floor clutching his family jewels.  Yeah, he had misread that situation.
A few months later, he sold his house because it was to big for only him.  He had purchased the penthouse in the Spire building.  Sometimes he loved the way destiny intervened.  The best part was she had no idea she was moving into his building. 
“9th floor.”  She mumbled as she continued to tape the boxes. 
Five below his own.  “Should I start taking these boxes into the living room to make life easier on the movers?” 
“Fine.  The boxes with the pink duct tape are mine.  The ones with the yellow duct tape are Roni’s.”  She was always so organized. 

He picked up a couple of boxes, including the one with her panties in it, taking them  into the living room.  A shit eating grin on his face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment